Monday 1 September 2008

Poker - The Grind of Your Life

Poker is a grind. An absolute grind. You can't get away from it and you will probably end up only make a handful of big blinds every hour.

Last night I was playing 6 tables on PokerStars and suffered a huge swing of bad variance costing me 4 buyins. I then further tilted off more money. I woke up today fresh (and sober) and totally regret tilting off an extra 2 buyins last night. In poker you can't afford to lose a buyin from bad play because it will cost you A LOT of time to grind it back. Here's a graph of my play, the two deep downswings are bad variance + a bit of tilt on top. The upswings are when I'm running good and not making any mistakes.

After playing 33,000 hands I have made something like 3bb/100. You have to set aside a lot of time if you want to try and make profit from poker. Obviously I'm not pro and therefore I won't necessarily be making as much as possible but 3bb/100 isn't far off normal. Just a horrible grind:

Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

No comments: